English Translation of 1996 Hukamnama
Sri Akal Takhat Sahib, Sri Amritsar
February 9, 1996
According to Sikh principles, men and women have been given equal status in the Guru's house. In all Sikh institutions, for the purpose of performing any religious rites, every human being is considered equal. Keeping in view the Sikh principles, the undersigned five Singh Sahibs unanimously support that every human being has the right to do seva in the morning in the precincts of the Harimander Sahib. The Manager of the Darbar Sahib is directed that he should execute the following conditions strictly without any delay and make the arrangements accordingly:
1. All those who are to participate in the morning seva should be Amritdhari Sikhs.
2. Women should come to do the seva with their heads completely covered with blue cloth.
3. All men and women should wear white dress with saffron-colored cummerbunds while performing the seva.
4. At the time of the seva, women should bring one male member of their house with them.
5. Persons engaged in the seva should be above 30 years old.
6. All the organizers should observe the commitment towards the laid-down principles for service.
Keval Singh, Jathedar Sri Damdama Sahib
Bhagvan Singh, Head Granthi, Sri Akal Takhat Sahib
Joginder Singh Vedanti, Granthi, Sri Darbar Sahib
Mohan Singh, Head Granthi, Sri Darbar Sahib
Manjit Singh, Jathedar, Sri Akal Takhat Sahib