Rare Sikh scriptures to be digitized
The library suffered heavy damage in June 1984 when the Army/CBI took rare manuscripts, while many scriptures were damaged in fire.
Mool Mantra on a Manuscript written by Guru Hargobind which is on display in Central Sikh Museum
The SGPC alleged that after picking up the material from the library in gunny bags and transporting it to the Youth Hostel in Amritsar, a make-shift camp office of the CBI, in military trucks, the empty library was set on fire and it was made out that everything preserved there had been reduced to ashes.
The library was established in 1946 vide resolution number 822, dated October 27, 1946, of the SGPC.
A significant role was played by the Sikh Historical Society, established in 1930 at Lahore under the leadership of Bawa Budh Singh.
The Sikh Historical Society was formed at this meeting and its formal meet was held at Teja Singh Sammundri Hall on April 29, 1945. At this time, bylaws of the society were passed and a working committee constituted. It comprised Teja Singh, Bawa Prem Singh, Bawa Harikrishan Singh, Gurmukh Nihal Singh, and Ganda Singh.
This society became instrumental in establishing the Central Sikh Library. Later, the name was changed to Sikh Reference Library.
- By Varinder Walia Tribune News Service
Note: Comments do not represent the views of SikhNet. Comments containing
profanity, provocation or slandar will be removed by the moderators.
Email the News Editor Add SikhNet news to your website
Become a SikhNet Supporter
Make a one time contribution or sign up as a monthly SikhNet donor.
History - Donation - Privacy - Help - Registration - Search
Copyright © 2007 SikhNet
Phone: 505-753-3117 - Email SikhNet Support