|Previous||Next||Ask a Question|
|Summary of Question:||Balancing The Mind|
|Date Posted:||Monday, 2/12/2001 8:35 PM MST|
Before I ask for help I must first congratulate you for providing an excellent service to everyone. May you prosper forever.
I have a problem. Could you please help me in balancing my mind. I am being treated for mental disability-manic depression. In addition to taking the prescription I would want to know about natural ways to balance my brain. Whenever, my mind wanders I say Sat Naam Waheguru and I continue till it is gone. Still there are times when I just cannot control. Life really makes me seem hopeless at those times. This upsets me a lot. I would love if you could help me in any way.
Sat Siri Akaal. You have started in the right direction to control your mind through repetition of the Naam. This is wonderful.
The despair you speak of is in part a result of the chemical imbalances that cause your mental disability. You asked for natural ways to balance the mind. I can suggest several.
1. Seek out naturopathic healing modalities, such as Chinese or Ayur-Vedic medicine, homeopathy, etc. to complement your current medical care. One or another of these forms can assist in reducing the polar swings you experience.
2. Find a yoga class, ideally Kundalini Yoga. For Kundalini yoga, start here: http://www.kundaliniyoga.com/Sikhnet/IKYTA.nsf/IKYTA
Regular practice of yoga can stabilize the chemicals in the brain and give you a strong base upon which to build your practice of the Naam.
If you cannot find a yoga class/in addition to a yoga class, take up regular physical exercise. Do whatever you enjoy: walking, jogging, martial arts, badminton, swimming, sports, etc.
3. Continue to practice the Naam, not only when you have those 'moments' but also as a regular practice, every day, for at least 11 minutes, but longer is better. Create a sacred space in your room or home to do this, or do it in a Gurdwara if you have one at home.
4. If you have a home Gurdwara or easy access to Siri Guru Granth Sahib, read from Siri Guru daily for 30-60 minutes, in Gurmukhi or English.
4. A very good meditation for the mind is Kirtan Kriya. Search this Youth Forum using those 2 keywords and you will find a great explanation of it.
Guru bless you with perfect health in all ways!